Friday, September 10, 2010

icky sick

Woooooo free wifi at the melia cohiba hotel! It's party time, friday night, and I'm here at the hotel taking advantage of their broken wifi system (you don't have to have a password tonight to access, thus it's free!)

The very good pianist in the lounge here is playing very bad songs for tourists. Tonight's selections include: The Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, Moulan, and of course the requisite ditties by Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart...

Well, maybe I do have a soft spot for "Tale as old as time..."

Anyway, I've been feeling sick the past two days. Yesterday I got diarrhea and a fever. The fever went away today, but the gastrointestinal problems persisted. As of right now, my tummy feels delicate but otherwise I feel fine. I think it's probably some street food I ate or something in the water. It takes a while to fully adjust, and yesterday marked the 3rd week.

OK, now the pianist has been replaced, and complemented by a sax and some really bad recorded percussion. Sounds like another ballad. Oh boy.

Today we went to CEDEM (Centro de Estudios Demográficos) for our first lesson. We learned about the study of demographics, ie populations--and the different theories of population growth and how they've changed over time. There was more, but I wasn't feeling so well. Better look at the powerpoint again...

I left early in order to go to my history of cuban art class, which had been moved to Friday at 1:30 for the first week. Unfortunately, me and a French student were the only ones who showed up. But at least the professor was there, so we talked to her a bit and then left after 20 minutes. She seems pleasant, and more artsy than my other art history teacher. If all goes as planned, we'll have our first real class on Tuesday.

Oh gosh, the sound of badly compressed recorded beats. Please save me. I didn't know you could fuck up "The Girl from Ipanema"

No comments:

Post a Comment