Wednesday, October 13, 2010

playing catch up

Well it's been a while since I've posted. No good excuses, I've just been a little lazy. And I started trying to use less internet time. It's been adding up while I'm here. It's probably my biggest expense. Behind peanut butter and oatmeal.

I ended up going to see Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. Twice! They were marvelous. Chucho Valdés played with them the first time I went and that was something else entirely. He really put things over the top. The theatre was gorgeous, too. Great curvy sixties architecture. The first night we thought it was sold out but ended up getting half price tickets from someone outside. And they turned out to be some of the best seats in the house. Second night we got in for free with one of the cuban musicians they invited to solo with the band.

The other weekend there was a salsa band playing at the conservatory. After the show ended the party headed to the pool, where scantily clad men strutted around. Good times. If only I had worn my cute underwear. I would've jumped in, too.

After my art history class was cancelled because there wasn't any electricity (not the first time, not the last) I decided to go to the art museum instead to work on an assignment. Beautiful museum, barely anyone there. Couldn't take pictures of the art, though. We went to the museum that was exclusively cuban artists. Saw some great pieces from the 60s-90s.

Tonight I'm enjoying a strange luxury. Unlimited internet access. It's a fluke, I promise. When I complained that my wifi card wasn't working, they gave me a handwritten username/password to use. And it seems to be unlimited...so I'm taking advantage by chatting on facebook and other things that don't fit into my normal usage. It's weird to just be online for so long. I've really become accustomed to not using much internet.

Tomorrow we're leaving for a weeklong vacation. We head to Baracoa, in the eastern part of Cuba, via small plane. We spend several days there and then take a bus to Santiago de Cuba. More to follow on that, and definitely some photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment