Wednesday, November 10, 2010

flan

One of the guys who works at our house is named Gustavo. He's a really sweet middle-aged man who always asks you how you're doing when he sees you. A couple weeks after I arrived, he told me to think of him as my cuban father.

I knew there was another reason that I liked this guy. It turns out, he makes desserts and sells them to make some extra money. We bought one of his cakes for our 10th anniversary celebration, and it was amazing.

Tonight, he made flan. I absolutely love all kinds of custard, and I can still remember vividly the first time I had flan. Gustavo prepared flan in a unique way. After cutting aluminum cans in half, he filled them with the custard and then baked them in the can. It made just the right size serving for one. It's also an example of cuban ingenuity. Anyway, I've decided that when I get home I'm going to try and copy his idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment